19 Clinton Ave
Albany NY 12207
The Palace Theatre was built during the Great Depression of the earlier 20th century. It officially opened its doors in October of 1931 and is one of the Capital Region’s most diverse entertainment platforms. The Palace Theatre was designed by John Eberson who was one of the foremost motion picture theatre architects in the world. It was originally an RKO movie palace and designed in Austrain Baroque style. It was sold to FAST Theatres (Fabain Enterprises) in 1940. It underwent a major renovation in 1960 with costs around $250,000. Unfortunately it was closed in 1969 due to lack of profits.
The City of Albany later purchased the theatre for $90,000 and was added to the National Register of Historic places in 1979. In 1989, the Palace Performing Arts Center was incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation to manage the business of the Palace Theatre. It went under an extensive renovation project again in 2002.
The revitalization of the Palace Theatre has been a priority of the City of Albany and really has been a great success.
Located on the corner of Clinton and North Pearl (marking the start of Arbor Hill), the Palace is a 2,844-seat theatre, which is home to the Albany Symphony Orchestra and various music, film, comedy acts, and drama performances.
Palace Theatre is truly a representation of American Entertainment history and is one of the crown jewels of Albany’s effort to bring more entertainment to the Albany area!