The Town of Berlin was first settled in 1765 and is located in Rensselaer County (It is one of the largest towns in the county). It was named after Germany’s Berlin and officially named a town in 1803. It is home to the Berlin Mountain (2,818 ft) located in the Taconic Mountians near the Massachusetts border. The town was erected in 1806 from Petersburgh, Schodack and Stephentown. A part was removed to form the Town of and Lake.
Its neighbors are Stephentown to the south, Petersburgh in the north. Sand Lake and Poestenkill are at the west town line. Berlin is bordered on the east by Berkshire County, Massachusetts.
Berlin is the home of Berlin, Bucks Corner, Center Berlin, as well as Cherry Plain (as well as the Cherry Plain State Park).
Berlin village was formerly known as North Berlin and even today is still referred to as such.