The Town of Princetown is located in Schenectady Count and serves as the country border from Montgomery County. The community was formed in 1798 and was named for John Prince of Schenectady. Princetown is long and narrow, its greatest length from northwest to southeast being about 11 miles, and its greatest width about 3 miles. The streams are Norman’s Kill , Platt’s Kill , and Zantzee Kill . Upon this stream is a cascade sixty feet high, and from this point to the Mohawk are numerous falls and cascades. The town contains 15,450 acres.
A portion of the land comprising what is now known as the Township of Princetown was originally ceded to the Reformed Dutch Church of Schenectady, and the remainder belonged by right of patent to George Ingoldsby and Arendt Bradt in 1737. Ingoldsby later sold out to William Corry, and the settlement became known as Corry’s Bush (Currybush). In 1755 it was sold to John Duncan of Schenectady. The first settlers of Princetown were were devout Presbyterians from Scotland and Ireland many of which moved here from New York City due to it’s resemblence to they’re native homeland.
Farming was the main industry of Princetown from the mid-1700s until the 1940s. Hay and grain were raised as well as a focus on dairy farming.
Kelly’s Station is a small hamlet in the southeast corner of the town. A tunnel was erected in the early 1900s that serves today as a landmark on Kelly Station Road. Giffords is a small hamlet a few miles northeast of Kelly’s Station