Latham Circle Mall
Latham, NY 12110
Latham Circle Mall was opened in 1957 as an open-air plaza called Latham Corners Shopping Center. In 1977 it was converted into an enclosed mall and made a name change to Latham Circle Mall. Latham Circle Mall was expanded in 1988 to include a Caldor, a new JCPenney store to replace the old one and a second level, which would house the ten-screen movie theater and a separate entrance for the theatre.
In the late 1980s the mall experienced a fire that ripped through the two level space occupied by The Boston Store. It was later closed, remodeled, and reopened as Burlington Coat Factory. Caldor closed in early 1999 when the entire chain went out of business. Oddly the space remained completely empty in the mall until mid – 2003, when a new Lowe’s Home Improvement store was built. The mall has fallen on hard times during the past decade due to the growing popularity of other regional shopping centers such as Crossgates Mall, Clifton Park Center and Colonie Center. It’s close proximity to the Northway and Hudson Calley Community College as well as Siena College has not attracted the shoppers it had hoped and the mall slowly started to die away.
There was some excitement in 2007 when plans to revitalize the mall and change it into a hybridized power center/lifestyle center/enclosed mall combo were announced. The addition of stores such as Old Navy, Circuit City, J.Crew, the Disney Store and Ann Taylor among others promised to bring life back to the mall. Unfortunately, these plans have not come to fruition.
If you want very minimal crowds (handful of people) this is the place to go. The mall still has a great theatre with it’s own separate parking. JC Penny as well as a FunPlex for children can still be found in the mall as well as the college Mildred Elley.
Please contact the mall for hours of operation.