Lansingburg was originally formed from Troy and Petersburgh in March of 1807. It was originally founded by Abraham Jacob Lansing around the year of 1770. IT was first organized around 1771, then referred to as Stone Arabie.
In 1790 a local innkeeper (Ananias Platt) obtained a grant to run a stagecoach between Lansingburg & AlbanyParts of Schagtucoke (1819), Troy (1836), and Brunswick (1839) was subtracted to add to the size of Lansingburg. It is a narrow strip of land that runs right along the Hudson River and is home to the Deepi Kil and Koola Kil streams.
The original name of Lansingburg was New City and it contains the village of Speigletown. It is also connected to Waterford via a bridge across the Hudson and is also connected to Troy by railroad. The Tibbits (Benjamin and George) removed parts of Warwick, Rhode Island to add to Lansingburg.
The Lansingburgh Academy was a seminary in Lansingburgh from the late 18th century to the early 1900s, when the building was leased, and later sold, to the local public school district, used initially as a high school. The building was eventually sold to the local library system and today serves as the Lansingburgh Branch of the Troy Public Library.